Local Sewer Grants Awarded to 21 Communities Across the State
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality announced last month that more than $3.8 million in grant money would be given to communities around the state to financially support the wastewater system projects that are needed to improve local water quality and public health.
Pollution has a serious negative impact on Michigan’s water. Updating and maintaining the sewer infrastructure is essential to reducing that pollution. The S2 grants fund preconstruction work and allow local governments to pass those savings to residents and commercial customers. The S2 grant program provides communities with up to $1 million in grant assistance for planning and design tasks (at 90 percent of eligible costs). The program is administered by the DEQ.
The state has committed $40 million in S2 grants, and more than $32.8 million has been awarded to designated communities. There is close to $7.2 million in grant money still available.
The following cities/townships have received grant money:
- Charter Township of Clinton S2 Grant No. 9151-02 in the amount of $137,332.
- Charter Township of Commerce S2 Grant No. 9235-01 in the amount of $120,021.
- Charter Township of East China S2 Grant No. 9191-02 in the amount of $128,700.
- City of Burton S2 Grant No. 9236-01 in the amount of $485,820.
- City of Grand Rapids S2 Grant No. 9228-02 in the amount of $126,621.
- City of Hastings S2 Grant No. 9176-02 in the amount of $97,200.
- City of Howell S2 Grant No. 9242-01 in the amount of $27,000.
- City of Hudson S2 Grant No. 9234-01 in the amount of $191,700.
- City of Port Huron S2 Grant No. 9243-01 in the amount of $129,454.
- Clinton Oakland Sewage Disposal District S2 Grant No. 9230-01 in the amount of $503,108.
- Clinton Oakland Sewage Disposal District S2 Grant No. 9230-02 in the amount of $60,366.
- County of St. Clair S2 Grant No. 9240-01 in the amount of $32,940.
- Evergreen Farmington Sewage Disposal District S2 Grant No. 9231-01 in the amount of $157,670.
- Lakewood Wastewater Authority S2 Grant No. 9186-02 in the amount of $639,000.
- North Kent Sewer Authority S2 Grant No. 9140-02 in the amount of $276,032.
- Owosso Township/Caledonia Township Utility Authority S2 Grant No. 9181-02 in the amount of $288,450.
- Township of Bruce S2 Grant No. 9210-01 in the amount of $60,570.
- Traver Creek Drain S2 Grant No. 9213-03 in the amount of $20,700.
- Village of Eau Claire S2 Grant No. 9241-01 in the amount of $86,400.
- Village of Elk Rapids S2 Grant No. 9239-01 in the amount of $52,830.
- Village of Newberry S2 Grant No. 9169-02 in the amount of $197,100.
- Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority S2 Grant No. 9245-01 in the amount of $43,200.
Additional information about S2 grants can be found by going to www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-135-3307_3515_4143-236401--,00.html. You can also contact DEQ staff members Sonya Butler and Brad Wurfel should you have additional questions. Sonya can be reached at 517-373-2161 or firstname.lastname@example.org and Brad Wurfel can be reached at 517-373-7917 or email@example.com.